CFW Unlocked Modded 3DS System!!
Create Account Log In
pokedit

Cakénalysis: Sylveon is Flying Type

Topic Tags: cakenalysis, flying type, new eevee evolution, ninfia, nymphia, pokemon news, pokemon x, pokemon y, rumor, speculation, sylveon
PokEdit News, Announcements, Updates, Editor Tips/Updates, and Pokemon News.

Cakénalysis: Sylveon is Flying Type

Postby » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:21 pm

sylveon is flying type cakenalysis
The widespread speculation about a new Eevee evolution recently became a reality with the reveal of Sylveon. It was leaked in an issue of Corocoro magazine then on the Official Pokemon website shortly afterwards. We were given a short video, some official art, and a couple details about it’s physical attributes. But, probably the biggest piece of information that is still shrouded in darkness is what Type that Sylveon will be. After reading some heated debates from around the web and giving it some careful thought, I’ve decided to make my own prediction about which type Sylveon will be:
That type is FLYING.

This prediction assumes that there will not be any new Types in the upcoming games: Pokemon X and Pokemon Y. While I think it would be cool to have some new types; there’s already quite a colorful parade of types, so a new one is probably not likely.

Chart Argument
I’m going to start with the simplest part of my argument for a Flying Type Sylveon which is based on the Eevee Evolution chart that was release on the Official Pokemon website. Take a look at the picture below and notice of the Type combinations that are directly across from one another in the chart.
eevee evolution chart

The Evolution Types on the right side of the chart are all super effective against their across types on the left.

Fire (Flareon) is super effective against Ice (Glaceon).
Dark (Umbreon) is super effective against Psychic (Espeon).
Grass (Leafeon) is super effective against Water (Vaporeon).

If this trend is accurate, then whatever Sylveon’s Type is will be either super effective against Electric or Electric will be super effective against it. The only possible type that is super effective against Electric is Ground (because it’s unused by other Eevee Forms). Based on Sylveon’s design, weight, and so on; I think it could be safe to assume that it isn’t Ground Type (I could be wrong, but that would be a weird Ground Type Pokemon). That leaves us with Flying Type:

Electric (Jolteon) is super effective against Flying (Sylveon).

I don’t know who originally pointed this out, so I can’t really give anyone credit for it.

Weight Argument
This argument is fairly simple; Sylveon is the lightest of all Eevee Evolutions. This might not sound like great evidence, but Flying Type Pokemon are generally lighter than other Pokemon. I mean, there’s not a lot of Pokemon in the upper tiers if you sort them by weight. Here’s a list of all Eevee Evolutions sorted by their weight (from Heaviest to Lightest).

Vaporeon - 63.9 lbs (29.0 kg)
Umbreon - 59.5 lbs (27.0 kg)
Espeon - 58.4 lbs (26.5 kg)
Glaceon - 57.1 lbs (25.9 kg)
Leafeon - 56.2 lbs (25.5 kg)
Flareon - 55.1 lbs (25.0kg)
Jolteon - 54.0 lbs (24.5 kb)
Sylveon - 51.8 lbs (23.5kg)

As you can see, Sylveon is a decent amount of pounds less than all other Eevee Evolutions. Sylveon is also tied with Leafeon, Umbreon, and Vaporeon as the tallest of the forms.

Name Argument
Sylveon’s name seems to indicate that it’s based on a flying creature. So, let’s take a look at some of it’s names across a few languages:

Sylveon (English, Spanish, and Italian name)
Nymphali (French name)
Nymphia (Japanese name)
(originally thought to be Ninfia, but “ ニンフィア” can easily be translated to Nymphia)

Let’s start off by taking a look at the English, Spanish, and Italian names. The “Sylv” part of the name seems to refer to a Sylph. In the occult philosophy of Paracelsus, a Sylph is a class of imaginary beings assumed to inhabit the air (usually depicted as women). If the name is actually based off of a Sylph, then being Flying type would make good sense.
sylveon is a sylph

I think the French and Japanese names are even more revealing though. They seem to obviously be based on a Nymph from Greek and Roman Mythology. Nymph are often depicted with wings; flying around like fairies. A Pokemon based off a Nymph or Fairly is probably going to be Flying Type.

ninfia is a nymph

I’ve seen people arguing that the Sylv is actually coming from the word “sylvan” which pertains to the woods, trees, or inhabiting the forest. But, this is highly unlikely due to the Nymph in the French and Japanese names.

Nymphali is a nymph

Some other bits and pieces
If you watch the official video, you’ll notice that Sylveon’s ribbon looking things are blowing around which could indicate some kind of wind. Wind would be seen as relating to Flying Type.

The little bow tie things on Sylveon could also be interpreted as looking like butterflies.

Make sure to let me know what you think about this speculation. The Sylveon art that I made flying thru the forest was originally made by Xous54.

Sylveon Fan Art Gallery #1 Sylveon Fan Art Gallery #2

cake cake
cake cake
Overlord

Re: Cakénalysis: Sylveon is Flying Type

Postby » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:18 am

A VERY valid arguement. I agree.

Postby » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:03 am

You misspelled Sylveon under the Chart Argument
Chart Argument
I’m going to start with the simplest part of my argument for a Flying Type Syleveon which is based on the Eevee Evolution chart that was release on the Official Pokemon website. Take a look at the picture below and notice of the Type combinations that are directly across from one another in the chart.

Postby » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:04 am

Hariyama, Gligar, and Krookidile are shown in the video, right? Well, Hariyama is weak to Syleon, Gligar is the damges Syleon normally, and Krookidle ha no effect to Syleon.

Postby » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:55 am

@143851 fixed the spelling.

That is interesting about the Pokemon Sylveon is battling. What is your conclusion based on that?
cake cake
cake cake
Overlord

Postby » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:03 pm

She's a Flying type

Postby » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:07 pm

143851 wrote:
She's a Flying type
Kinda odd how feminine it is, yet the gender ratio is 7:1 male:female .-.

Postby » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:44 pm

Kinda like Gardevoir

Postby » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:50 pm

143851 wrote:
Kinda like Gardevoir
Yeah, even chances of male or female ._.
Makes sense for Ralts and Kirlia, but it's really awkward that there can still be male Gardevoir after Gallade was introduced.

Postby » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:00 pm

Ivy wrote:
143851 wrote:
Kinda like Gardevoir
Yeah, even chances of male or female ._.
Makes sense for Ralts and Kirlia, but it's really awkward that there can still be male Gardevoir after Gallade was introduced.

I never really thought about that before... that is really werid. sick
cake cake
cake cake
Overlord

Next

Return to News